Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Banning and Censorship

First off, let me apologize for dropping off the planet! I'm in my second week of college and I've just been bogged down by assignments (I'm making an attempt to not shrug off my homework this semester!) and band practices. I promise I'm going to try to make more regular postings soon though!

I know I've made a post about this before, but I saw this link from the American Library Association, and I couldn't help but make a small rant on my personal Facebook about it, and I decided I wanted to share with you guys as well. So here it is. Please feel free to share your thoughts and feelings on this subject! I love to hear other opinions and views!

There is literally nothing that makes me angrier than the attempted censorship of literature, not even because I love to read myself, but because every one on this planet should have the opportunity to decide for themselves what is and isn't "appropriate". People have to understand that we live in a world with opposing beliefs, drug and alcohol use, differing sexual orientations, and many other ideas, products, and facts that one might not want to be exposed to. However, pretending like these things don't exist just creates a world full of ignorance, and believe me, there's nothing more dangerous.

Many of the books on these lists I've read myself, and almost all of them have helped me understand things in my life in a way that wouldn't be possible otherwise. I can understand wanting to shield your children from some things like drugs and alcohol, but would you rather your kids learn bout these things from the pages of a book, or out on the streets?

Take it from someone who grew up on books, and knows many others who feel the same way: many of these books that are considered "controversial" or "inappropriate" can and will save someone's life. Just think about that before you condemn a book.

 Until next time,
xox 

No comments:

Post a Comment