Tuesday, June 2, 2015

*DNF Review* Those Girls by Lauren Saft

18249315Those Girls by Lauren Saft
Publisher: Poppy: Little, Brown and Company
Release Date: June 9, 2015
Genre: YA, Contemporary 
Source: NetGalley/Publisher
Rating: 2/5

Amazon || B&N || BAM || Goodreads

Goodreads Synopsis
 Some girls will always have your back, and some girls can't help but stab you in it.

Junior year, the suburbs of Philadelphia. Alex, Mollie and Veronica are those girls: they're the best of friends and the party girls of the school. But how well does everybody know them--and really, how well do they know one another? Alex is secretly in love with the boy next door and has joined a band--without telling anyone. Mollie suffers from a popular (and possibly sociopathic) boyfriend, as well as a serious mean streak. And Veronica just wants to be loved--literally, figuratively, physically....she's not particular. Will this be the year that bonds them forever....or tears them apart for good? 

Lauren Saft masterfully conveys what goes on in the mind of a teenage girl, and her debut novel is raw, honest, hilarious, and thought-provoking, with a healthy dose of heart.


There's really nothing I hate more than DNFing a book, but sometimes I just have to, and unfortunately, this is one of those books.

Let me begin by saying that I didn't hate this book. I thought it was okay, to a point. What killed this book for me was the excessive 'mean girls' cliche, and the repetetiveness of the storyline. After awhile, it just felt like the book kept repeating itself, same bitchy girls, same asshole boys, different party. After a while, reather than being amused by the awful dynamic of friendship amoung the three female protags, I became annoyed and finally wanted to just slap them all and tell them to grow the fuck up. There's only so much bitching about boys and shitty friends I can take, in books and in real life, before I start to tune out.

I do wish the author would have explored some subjects she presented in this book a little further (although, I did only get through about 50%, so maybe she did in the last half), such as the one character's eating disorder. I feel like it could have been a great way to discuss a serious illness, instead of just tacking it on as an accessory.

I don't really know what else to say about this book other than you'll either love it or hate it.

Until next time,
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment